COVID-19 testing, vaccination and hardship support fact sheet for parents/guardians
For links to this message in other languages, please see below:
Testing and isolation
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, you must get tested and stay home until you get your result. Do not go to work or to the shops.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- fever, chills or sweats
- cough or sore throat
- shortness of breath
- runny nose
- loss of sense of smell or taste
The COVID-19 test is free for everyone. This includes people without a Medicare card, such as visitors from overseas, migrant workers and asylum seekers.
If you test positive for COVID-19, you must isolate (stay) in your home.
If you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 you must quarantine (stay at home) for 14 days and until you are advised you can leave quarantine by an Authorised Officer from the Department of Health.
If you live with, or have spent time with, someone who is a close contact, you will also be asked to stay at home.
What you need to know
- Everyone who is aged 16 years and over can get their COVID-19 vaccine.
- Make a booking by calling the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398. If you need an interpreter, press zero (0).
- People aged 60 years and older will be offered the AstraZeneca Some people with specific medical conditions will be eligible for Pfizer vaccine.
- People 12 – 59 years of age will be given the Pfizer
- The COVID-19 vaccine is free for everyone. You do not need a Medicare card.
- The vaccine is voluntary. You can choose to get vaccinated.
- You need two doses (injections) of the same COVID-19 vaccine to be effective.
- When you get your first dose, you will be told when you need to get your second dose.
- All vaccines are carefully tested to make sure they are safe before they are approved for use in Australia.
- If you are worried about your health or getting the COVID-19 vaccine, talk to your doctor.
Support is available
If you are worried about losing income while you wait for your test results, you may be eligible for a $450 COVID-19 Test Isolation support. This will help support you to stay home.
If you test positive or are a close contact of a confirmed case, you may be eligible for a $1,500 payment. For more information call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398. If you need an interpreter, press zero (0).
If you are feeling isolated, you can call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 and press three (3). If you need an interpreter, press zero (0). You will be connected to a volunteer from the Australian Red Cross who can link you with local support services.
If you need an interpreter, call the COVID-19 hotline 1800 675 398 and press 0.